The Populars vs. The Nappers
After secretly staring at the popular kids and their tables for some time now, mainly because I was alone at lunch with all my other friends in a Noon Hour at the time, I've come to thinking about them. I'm wondering what makes them popular. Well, a lot of them were popular way back in elementary school, so they have a lot of prior experience. About 90% of them are "good looking, athletic, and hot," according to my fellow classmates that I sometimes overhear talking about in various classes. And, really, very nearly all of them like each other either because they have cool-looking clothes on, have good hair, or are athletic in some way. It sickens me. I try to be as far away from them as possible. And yet..... sometimes I feel like I want to be there too, if I wasn't so nerdish. But I'm trying with all my might to fight this feeling. I like to think of popular kids as books. Ever heard the expression, "Don't judge a book by its cover?" Of course you have. Well, the popular kids have flashy, overdone covers that immeditately catch someone's passing glance. However, when you open up the book, you find that the story is lame, stupid, or just something you have absolutely no interest in. This has to stop. Now.
Finally, I have an issue worth posting on the Napper News. Should we Nappers try to fight them (not physically, of course), and make ourselves popular? Should we stay the same and be ignored by pretty much everyone except ourselves? Or, should we stoop to their level and try to be popular like them? I am getting the feeling more than often lately to do something to try to be popular, but the other, stronger side of my brain beats back that thought with brutal force. I know that I am having as I type this post a strong, internal conflict. I can't take the pain anymore! I also know that if I do become popular, or start to hang out with the popular kids, I feel like I will be betraying all the Nappers nationwide, being the subject of cruel posts on the Napper News and Talking Blogs for months and months to come, and going against every rule with popularity that I established with myself years ago. I fear that I'm starting to get to that level, especially in band. From what I've observed, just about everyone (except for most of the sixth graders) know who I am, and how advanced I am with the alto, and soon to be tenor, saxophone. More and more eighth graders are talking to me, along with more seventh graders who typically refer to me as "that one alto player." We need to act now, or my dark side that goes against all the Napper laws that were never established will break free, and all that I used to stand for popularity-wise will crumble beneath my feet.

15 Comments:
I'd just make a promise to myself. That's what I did when I was 4. I said, "I will not get married or date a girl." You try saying, "I promise that I will not become popular!"
Friday, February 24, 2006 10:19:00 PM
michael, seriously, don't take this as a joke...i'm really proud of u. i've been waiting 4 the day when u started 2 care about what other people thought.
i know it may seem shallow but even herby hancock makes sure he looks good b4 he goes out 2 perform!
And "betraying the nappers?!?" michael...that's the biggest load of crap i've heard! u actually want 2 be accepted among the normies! i felt it at the end of the school year last year and that's why u might have noticed i started 2 buy kool clothes and lost weight. i care how i look and act and am on the "verge" of popular. do u want 2 be popular? don't lie 2 urself, everyone does. i know it sounds bad 2 u, but it really isn't michael. wanted 2 have more friends isn't bad.
Friday, February 24, 2006 10:50:00 PM
and now that's out of my system...HEY! Popular kids aren't popular just because of their good looks and clothes! look at people like arthur broadstock, he's not that good looking and he doesn't wear kool clothes, he's just a kool guy 2 be around, he's eazy 2 talk 2! and knows he's kool.
I'd like 2 think i'm semipopular and i'm not good looking and i don't wear the koolest clothes and i only play a couple of sports! that's an awful stereotypical and smallminded statement u just made and if ur gonna tangle with me in these matters...support ur evidence.
Friday, February 24, 2006 10:55:00 PM
don't let ur emotions blindsight u 2 the truth...popular kids are popular because they know they are and distribute a positive energy 2 all around them that draws people 2 them...
Friday, February 24, 2006 10:56:00 PM
sry...my claws come out on subjects like this...
Friday, February 24, 2006 10:57:00 PM
hey, i can help u 2 start dressing kool and stuff like that if u wanted 2...
Friday, February 24, 2006 10:59:00 PM
Mitchell, you're a new Napper. You don't know the Napper laws that we established in fifth grade. I don't know think anything has changed since then, but when the Nappers first became established, we absolutely HATED popular people. I know I do. I've always kinda cared what other people thought. But also, I don't think I can be popular because I couldn't care LESS about most (if not all) of the things that are essential to be popular. And I don't really don't like half of the popular people in our school, which is why I always sit at the one table at lunch. But, I admit, sometimes I do feel stupid sitting next to the Yu-Gi-Oh playing 8th and 6th graders. Okay, all the time. But where else to go? I REALLY don't want to sit with the popular kids at all, which is why I always insist on staying where I am.
Thanks for your suggestions, but what you've mentioned are exactly what I DON'T want to be and do. And I'm not stereotyping; I've observed this stuff. A lot. Trust me.
Redberry
Saturday, February 25, 2006 8:07:00 PM
yea but guys, u don't have 2 be nerds! seriously, it's fun being popular! my life is actually more active and i have more friends who like me 4 me. friday, instead of sitting alone wishing i had something 2 dew, i was out with arthur and zach and jackie and them at the carnival having a good time! and if u hate popular people...what does that make me? a fake-napper? and why do u guys hate the popular people? cuz ur jealous? why?
and michael i spent the last 4 yrs observing the rules 2 being popular and it's not as shallow and superficial as u think.
what i dew think is shallow is judging people like ben pierce cuz he's good looking and plays football and wears kool clothes b4 u know them (by the way, he had 3 a and 4 b's last quarter and is really nice when u get 2 know him).
Saturday, February 25, 2006 10:29:00 PM
and just bkuz ur popular doesn't mean u can't excel! look at ryan f. straight a+'s grrr (even better thatn u michael) great at soccor and basketball in the orchestra great musician and is saved! me...i'm a straight a student play football basketball and baseball play drums sing drama saved gonna be an actor! see? just cuz ur popular, doesn't mean ur stupid or shallow or condemned 2 a life of working at a mcdonalds! it just means u know how 2 communicate with people in a positive and social manner.
Saturday, February 25, 2006 10:34:00 PM
and i'm sry but the reason most of the nappers aren't popular is due 2 the basis of being basically social and giving energy and LISTENING 2 EVERYONE!!! not just ur current friends...
Saturday, February 25, 2006 10:36:00 PM
Guys! Have you already forgotten that you SHOULD NOT USE MY REAL NAME?!?!?!?!? My mom have a harsh, half-hour lecture about internet safety and people on the internet who kindnap kids by making them believe that they are their friends. That's because on my Blogger Dashboard, it automatically goes to the Dashboard without asking for the password, to make it easier for me. Well, one evening, she went into my internet explorer, and my dashboard popped up. She started to explore my postings, and she was incredibly furious at me over what I put on my BLOG! I couldn't watch TV for a week! And my parents NEVER punish me!
Sorry I had to yell, and I want to use my real name too, but in case she reads these again, PLEASE DO NOT USE MY REAL NAME!!!!!!
Redberry
Sunday, February 26, 2006 2:08:00 PM
okay michael! i mean-uh.......redberry...
Sunday, February 26, 2006 8:25:00 PM
Hey, it's not my fault! I WANT to have my real name, but nooooooo...
Sunday, February 26, 2006 8:54:00 PM
michael ur parents are great! but...they r REALLY overzealous! i think they need 2 wake up 2 the fact that if u wanted 2 find out who someone is that badly there r WAY easier ways 2 find out who u r with just a basic knowledge of computers! I could do it!
Monday, February 27, 2006 4:20:00 PM
Yeah, I like being a nerd. (I'm special that way) I also like to be called dork, geek, unpopular, freak, and most of all, napper! SO just yell these at my face!
Thursday, March 02, 2006 7:39:00 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home